Being able to receive, understand and follow strategic advice is just as important as giving it. The Senior Partners at Mussio La Grassa Elliott Krogh know that it takes wisdom to lead and wisdom to follow.
We are always looking for great wisdom to follow to make us and our clients better leaders. Among our favourites is Colin Powell’s 13 Rules. Powell was U.S. Secretary of State and a four-star general of the United States Army. Here is his precious wisdom.
1. It ain’t as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
2. Get mad, then get over it.
3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
4. It can be done!
5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
6. Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
7. You can’t make someone else’s choices. You shouldn’t let someone else make yours.
8. Check small things.
9. Share credit.
10. Remain calm. Be kind.
11. Have a vision. Be demanding.
12. Don’t take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
Applying Powell’s wisdom has made us better strategic advisors and consultants. We encourage you to apply some, if not all of Powell’s rules to your personal and professional lives.